Music is one of the defining aspects of humanity. It separates us from the other living things on the planet (I know there are some arguments that other animals make music, but we can discuss that another time). Our society is reflected in our music, and music surrounds us.
Imagine walking into a store with no music playing. TV and movies with no music. Video games with no music. No concerts. No music videos. No iPod. For that matter, probably no YouTube.
Music is part of who we are as human beings.
This is not an attempt at a complete discussion on the topic, but here are a few of my reasons for making music a central part of my life:
- Music makes me feel. Quite simply, nothing else touches my emotions in the same way.
- Music makes me think. It takes me to places in my mind and heart that I don't get to without it.
- Music allows me to communicate far better than I can in any other way.
- Music makes me better. I'm a more sensitive, thoughtful, passionate and effective human being.
- Like sports, music is fun. I tell people all the time that some guys bowl or play poker, but I get to play jazz and rock and roll gigs. Awesome!
What are your reasons?